LG G Pad 8.3 is definitely one of the most popular tablets in the market today. If you are using it for quite some time now and have got bored with the UI, then we have a good news for you. No, you don’t have to buy a new tablet at all; simply root your device with Cyanogenmod 12.1 custom rom and you can get some exciting changes in your UI. In this post we are going to give you the step by step guide on how to root your LG G Pad 8.3 with Cyanogenmod.
Well, the Cyanogenmod 12.1(CM 12.1) is available in the market today and it officially supports the LG G pad 8.3. So, the risk of bricking your device in the process is relatively less. However, flashing any custom rom comes with a potential risk, so update your tablet at your own risk.
Now that we have given you a fair warning, let us proceed to the interesting stuff!
Well, to flash the CM 12.1 on your LG G Pad 8.3 there are some prerequisite:
- Make sure that you are using a LG G Pad 8.3 V500 model. Why? Well, the Cyanogenmod 12.1 supports this model only. In case of any other model, there is a possibility that the update may harm your device to the extent of bricking it. So, stay safe, check out the model number of your device in advance.
- Back all your data in advance. This includes all your contacts, files, folders, apps etc. Flashing CM 12.1 will erase your device, so make sure you have all your important data safe and
- secure with you.
- Make sure that you have root access to your G Pad 8.3.
- If you are not using the Lollipop or kitkat version of Android, then update your device with any of the two official android versions first.
- Make sure that the LG utility drivers are already installed in your computer.
- The update is going to take a lot of battery power. So, before you start confirm at least 80% battery power.
- If you already have twrp installed in your device, then make sure bak up all efs partitions on the current rom as well. This way even if you loose signal during the process, you can simply restore it back to normal.
- Make sure to have an unlocked bootloader in order to flash this custom rom successfully.
- Install a custom recovery in your device.
- Make sure to download lollipop based CM 12.1 rom for LG G Pad 8.3 V500 on your tablet.
Once you have all these pre-requisite conditions met, you can now proceed to update your device.
Step 1: Update twrp in your device (For those who do not have it installed already)
- Search and download the twrp manager app from Google Playstore.
- Once it’s downloaded, open it.
- During the process of installation, the app may ask to grant a ‘super user’ permission. Simply grant the access.
- Once you have granted the access, you’ll find a number options by swiping from the left.
- Here click on ‘Install twrp’ and you’ll get two more choices; device name and version.
- Scroll down the device name tab and select G Pad 8.3 V500.
- Similarly choose the version of twrp to be downloaded and select install recovery.
- The app will download the recovery set up and flash it.
- Once finished you can reboot your device to recovery from the twrp manager app.
Step 2: Flash CM 12.1 using twrp recovery setup
- First download the CM 12.1 for G Pad and Gapps and save them to your SD Card or any other internal storage device.
- Now shut down your device completely.
- Use the button combination to reboot into recovery.
- One there, first take a back of your present rom. In case anything goes wrong, you should be able to recover your existing rom. It may take something around 5-10 minutes, but let the backup complete without any interruption.
- Once done, go back and select advance wipe.
- Wipe all your existing data, cache, files, folders etc.
- Once your device is wiped clean, go to the location where you’ve stored the CM 12.1 rom and select the same.
- Confirm the flash and wait for 5-10 minutes to complete the process.
- Once done, select install again, but select gapps this time and confirm the flash.
- Now that the gapps are successfully flashed, reboot to the system. The initial reboot may take as long as 15 minutes.
- Once your device is rebooted you are ready to enjoy the features of custom rom CM 12.1 on your LG G Pad 8.3 V500.
So, these are the simple steps to root your LG G Pad 8.3 with Cyanogenmod.
Once you flash the update, don’t forget to tell us your experience!